Wednesday, November 1, 2017

​ Fireman 🚒


A got a little fire
Man in my heart
Who's been toiling
Years on a flame
I lit by accident.

It was sorta on purpose
But you never expect these things to get out of hand
Or become what they do.

This flame.
It's weird.
It confounds my man.
His pails of water do nothing.
It's like dumping air.

Once, after months,
of him jumping around
Like a crazy person,
trying to extinguish the fucking thing
the alarms wailing,
I confronted him
Exhausted
I pleaded, "just ignore it! do
Something else!"

My little fire
man
Tried to be a cop
Tried to be a bum
Tried to be a personal trainer
Tried his hand at planning parties
I felt bad the whole time.
Imagine planning a party
While you know a heart is burning?

So
He's back at it.
I let him do it.
All those pails of water,
Invested in a hose,
Experimented with smothering
and chemicals.

(No effect)

My heart is sore and sick
I want to be cold again.
I want my little fire
Man to retire.
He deserves it.
He'd look so relaxed
Floating on a pool
His grinning face
free
of soot.

1 comment:

  1. he's back! your first sentence ironically set me ablaze. that's nice that you have fire men at your disposal. all i got was an arsonist who collects his check from the fire department.

    ReplyDelete